This recipe is tastes so rich it is sinful, vegetable crunch nothwithstanding! Make it your own by using different vegetables and flavours to give it that tang. You could, for example, try to make the sauce with umeboshi plum, with lots of basil to give it some slight twang and crunch.
Ingredients (use organic where possible)
340g brown rice pasta
5 litres of water to cook pasta
200g asparagus or green beans
100 g sliced button mushrooms
150g silken tofu
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup spring water
5 tbs capers
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
Zest of one lemon
2 pinches sea salt
Chopped parsley to garnish
1. Steam tofu then tip into blender and set aside until cool.
2. When cool, add brown rice syrup, oil, capers, lemon zest, and sea salt.
3. Blend until cream, and pour into a large mixing bowl to await pasta.
For the pasta:
2. Top and tail beans (if using), and cut into 1.5 inch batons.
3. Set 5 litres of water to boil on stove. Add pasta and garlic cloves.
4. When pasta is done, add beans and mushrooms. Boil for 2 minutes, then drain everything into a colander.
5. Pick out the garlic cloves and squeeze out the pulp into the cream sauce. Stir with fork to combine.
6. Tip the rest of the past mixture into the cream sauce and toss so that sauce coats pasta.
7. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Copyright 2008, Lusher Than Life